For international students to be considered for admission in a school in Australia, they are usually expected to qualify the TOEFL or IELTS tests with a satisfactory score. These tests are considered minimum entry requirement for admission in many English-speaking universities. These TOEFL and IELTS exams are designed to test the speaking, listening and reading skills of the applicant which many colleges consider necessary in an academic context. Qualifying these major tests is a challenging task for students from Non-English speaking countries who aspire to a graduate education in Australia.
For such students, there are certain universities for which a TOEFL/IELTS score is optional. These universities are a saving grace for non-English speaking students who wish to study in Australia. Universities may sometimes overlook the need of TOEFL/IELTS score if their language of instruction in secondary school was English, or if they have completed few years of studies in an English speaking country already. Also, certain graduate universities may admit students without a TOEFL/IELTS score if authorities from their undergraduate university certify that their medium of instruction was English.
Some of these Australian universities that admit non-English speaking students without a TOEFL/IELTS score are:
- 1) Victoria University IELTS/TOEFL may not be required if you have completed a qualification where primary language of instruction is English.
- 2) Swinburne University of Technology The Swinburne University of Technology is an Australian public university of technology located in Melbourne, Victoria. International students need not require an IELTS/TOEFL score if they study English at the Swinburne English Language Centre, or if they have had English as their language of instruction in their previous education. The university offers undergraduate and graduate courses in Business Administration and Management, Technology, Science, Marketing, Commerce, Accounting, etc.
- 3) The University of Queensland: The University of Queensland is a public university located in the state of Queensland, Australia. International students without an IELTS/TOEFL score may meet the University’s English language minimum requirement if they have completed a full-time course where they had English as their medium of instruction, or if they have worked in an English-speaking professional environment for a minimum of 5 years.
- 4) The University of Adelaide: The University of Adelaide is a public university located in Adelaide, South Australia. This university admits international students without the level of English required for direct entry to the degree program only if they complete a Pre-enrolment English Program (PEP) successfully before the commencement of the course. This is an ideal option for international students without the appropriate English training. The University arranges the PEP to be undertaken at the English Language Centre in Adelaide.
- 5) The University of New South Wales: The University of New South Wales is an Australian public university. The university takes provisional applications under consideration for international students who fail to meet the minimum standard requirement.
- 6) The University of Southern Queensland: The University of Southern Queensland is a university based in Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia. The university doesn’t require an IELTS/TOEFL score for consideration, instead of a high/secondary school or college completion with English as a medium of instruction. The University website also suggests undertaking the USQ pathways program for admission to the university.
- 7) Bond University: The Bond University is a private non-profit university based in Robina, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. The university offers various alternatives to the IELTS/TOEFL tests such as CAE, PTE. The university also admits international students who have completed their secondary education in an institution where the medium of instruction is English.
- 8) The University of South Australia: The University of South Australia is a public university based in the Australian state of South Australia. For international students from non-English speaking countries, the university accepts alternative test scores such as PTE, CPE or CAE.
- 9) Macquarie University: Macquarie University is a public teaching and research university in Macquarie Park, New South Wales, Australia. The university may conditionally give its eligible international students without an IELTS/TOEFL scores an English preparation program at the Macquarie University English Language Centre.
IELTS/TOEFL may not be a requirement for many Universities but it’s recommended for your visa application. Please check document checklist from your home country (if you are exempt).