If you’re studying a short course and are over 18 years old, you may be eligible for the short-term study visa. A short term student Visa for six months can be procured for short course if you are above 18 years old. This visa can be extended till 11 months.
The most popular VISA for a longer stay is TIER 4 Student VISA (Point Based) You can apply for this VISA, 3 months prior to the start date of your course. It is a point based system with a total of 40 points. The requirements are as follows
- Proof of Identity: Passport
- A recent photograph
- Proof of acceptance: An unconditional offer of a place on a course offered by a licensed Tier 4 Sponsor, evidenced by a ‘Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies’ (CAS) form from your course provider (this will fetch you 30 points)
- Proof of English language skills: You need to provide evidence of your English proficiency if you are from a non-native English speaking country. An IELTS, TOEFL or PTE score card that matches the University course requirements and the VISA requirement for your course will suffice.
- Proof of finance. Documents like bank statement financial or a letter from your sponsor proving that you have sufficient funds to take care of the tuition and living expenses. (worth 10 points)
- If you are a not a EU/EEA/Swiss student and are studying a sensitive subject, you may also need an ATAS certificate
- Along with documents certifying your academic qualifications you may also need to provide health certificate or take medical vaccinations depending on your country of origin.
You can apply online on https://www.gov.uk/apply-uk-visa after checking all the requirements in detail.
The fees for the 4 TIER VISA is for the Tier 4 (General) student visa is 348 pounds. To access National Health Service (NHS) during your stay you need to pay a health surcharge of 150 pounds per year
On a TIER 4 student VISA you can work for up to 20 hours per week and full time during vacations.